advice, travel

Why you should travel on your own

I always say that I think everyone should travel alone at least once in their life. Travelling by yourself can be a scary prospect and I understand that. For many people, the idea of doing anything alone is kind of terrifying, even if it’s going to the cinema alone, getting dinner alone, or any other activity that usually you’d do with someone else. So if you’re someone who doesn’t think they could even see a movie by themselves, then the idea of travelling by yourself might seem impossible. But if the opportunity ever comes around, I think you should do it.

Brooklyn Bridge

There are a lot of places I never would have had the chance to visit had I not gone and travelled there on my own.*

I’ve gone to various different places by myself before. The first time was probably when I went to Canada to study abroad, but I don’t really count that, even though I wasn’t going with a friend. I knew I was heading straight into a student residence and a community of people designed for me to meet new people and make new friends. The second time was when I went to New York on my J1 by myself, and this was the first time I really did feel alone. I was landing in a city with no idea where I was going to live or who I was going to live with, and it wasn’t easy. I had moments where I felt incredibly homesick, which had never happened to me before, and I wasn’t sure if I could go through with it. But I did, and I learned so much about myself that summer. If I could go back, I may change a few things, but I would not change the fact that I went by myself.

While I was living in America, I took the time to travel to other places. I went to Boston to meet some friends, and the few days I got to explore with them were some of my favourite days of my whole summer. Afterwards, I returned to New York and not long after I was off again, this time to Philadelphia to do some solo-sightseeing, and then on to Washington where I hit up the national mall and a few museums by myself too. I had a lot to fit in and I didn’t have much time, and I think I got a lot more done alone than I would have had I gone with someone else.

Travelling Alone

Travelling alone gives you the opportunity to learn something about yourself – you learn how to enjoy something without needing others to make an experience fulfilling. You learn how great it can be to have a full day ahead and to be fully in control of what to do with it. You learn how to be alone. You also learn what you like and what you don’t like. You’ll learn things you never expected. But most importantly, you learn just how much you’re capable of.

Life is short, so embrace it, even if you gotta go it alone once in a while.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin’

*Photo taken by Mike Andrews (who came to visit me after I had gone off on my travels) on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Why you should travel on your own

Share:
Previous Post Next Post

13 Comments

• Reply mistressmelancholia

Great tip. I travelled around Japan on my own a few years ago and loved it. Just about to head off on trip to Egypt, going with a group I’ll meet at airport for first time but soooo looking forward to it.

March 14, 2017 at 9:26 pm
    • Reply byrnewithme

I would love to go to Japan! That must have been amazing, it’s definitely on my bucket list. Sounds like a very exciting trip ahead, I hope you enjoy it!

March 14, 2017 at 10:37 pm
      • Reply mistressmelancholia

I’ll put up a post and some pics about it sometime but if you are ever thinking about it travel to Japan, it is the most amazing place and also one of the most beautiful.

March 14, 2017 at 10:55 pm
  • Reply charandtheweb

I’ve never actually travelled on my own but I think going solo, whether that’s going to a concert, or a restaurant or the cinema, can be equally as powerful. I’m my opinion it is all about stepping out of your comfort zone and feeling confident and comfortable with yourself, and doing things on your own. There’s such stigma attached to being single or being “alone” and I wish we could stop seeing those things as a negative thing. Doing something on your own is powerful and, like you said, you learn so much about yourself. Great, interesting read.

Would you by any chance be interested in sharing this post with our community at Creators.co? We’d love to have you on the platform as a Creator. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail for more information. I’d love to hear from you. All the best!

March 15, 2017 at 11:11 am
    • Reply byrnewithme

I definitely agree, I actually think it’s important to do things alone once in a while and it doesn’t have to be travel! Going to the cinema alone is actually one of my favourite things to do.

Thanks for reaching out about your community, I will certainly go take a look and get in touch 🙂

March 20, 2017 at 6:24 pm
  • Reply indieandlily

I love travelling and going on a solo trip is something I have been wanting to do for a while! Spending a summer in New York like that and travelling sounds like the dream 🙂

March 21, 2017 at 1:01 pm
    • Reply byrnewithme

You should definitely take a little trip somewhere yourself! It doesn’t even have to be long, 2-3 days away by yourself can be ideal!

March 21, 2017 at 1:51 pm
  • Reply How to plan for travelling alone – byrnewithme

[…] have written on a few different occasions about travelling solo, so hopefully I now have you fully convinced that it’s something you should do! Now […]

March 28, 2017 at 7:32 am
  • Reply MakeItUltra™

Great post! ✨

April 20, 2017 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Byrnewithme - How to plan for travelling alone

June 23, 2017 at 10:05 pm
  • Reply Elena

Hey Hanna, loved the post. It is true that people need to start doing things alone as it gives you so much in return and it helps you to grow. Btw love the new layout of the website!

June 28, 2017 at 12:53 pm
    • Reply byrnewithme

Hi Elena, yeah for sure it’s important for growing into yourself and learning about who you are as a person! Thanks so much about the website, I’m very happy with it!

June 28, 2017 at 5:27 pm